925 Jewelry is sterling silver with 92.5 percent silver content. The remaining 7.5% is copper, brass, or zinc. This is considered to be fine silver. Therefore, jewelry with this hallmark is very high quality. If you are unsure about the purity of sterling silver, the hallmark will let you know if the piece is 925-silver.
What could we be doing better?
925 marks are not used in every piece of jewelry. Sometimes, manufacturers will use another hallmark to distinguish their products. Often, the hallmark will include the name of the manufacturer. 925 mark jewelry is generally modern in design. This mark was adopted by the European Community as the standard mark for sterling silver. Therefore, you can be assured of its authenticity.
There are two types of silver: sterling silver and pure silver. Sterling silver is 92.5 percent pure and contains 7.5 percent copper. Other metals are added to increase the strength and utility of the metal. This combination enhances the utility of the metal and helps it remain beautiful. 925 jewelry is considered fine silver because it contains 92.5% silver and the rest is usually copper or nickel.
If you’re unsure of the purity of the metal, you can check for a hallmark. A hallmark is an imprinted mark that is present on larger parts of the jewelry. Pure silver does not contain any magnetic properties, but it will produce black marks on a polishing cloth. It is also important to remember that 925 jewelry can be cleaned by applying silver polishing cloth.